February 18, 2010

Films To Look Out For In 2010: Part 1

In 2009 we saw some very interesting films become smash hits with critics such as The Hurt Locker, Inglourious Basterds, District 9 and Moon. I'm going to focus on films that aren't really considered blockbuster material or made outside of the Hollywood establishment. Sometimes the best films go against formula, are controversial or just plan bizarre. Here are some of the more interesting movies I'm looking forward to in 2010.





THE RED RIDING TRILOGY: This is the UK's answer to David Fincher's Seven and Zodiac. The epic three film serial killer trilogy seems to look beyond thrilling. I'm hoping it's finally a return to form since I've been disappointed lately by crime based films coming out of Britain.


ANIMAL KINGDOM: This Australian crime drama won at Sundance and seems like it might end up doing very well at film festivals. I think we're due to see the Aussie crime families get some screen time.




THE KILLER INSIDE ME: I know this one is going to get lots of controversy. It's redband trailer was pulled off the web because of it's intense violence. My main intentions to see this one is pure curiosity and the fact I really enjoyed Casey Affleck in Gone Baby Gone.


CHLOE: While you'd think this remake would be a formula laced thriller but Chole's trailer reveals it's twist is beyond creepy and somewhat refreshing.





VALHALLA RISING: Nicolas Winding Refn is one of my favorite foreign directors. His amazing Pusher Trilogy is highly recommended and last year he blew everyone away with Bronson. It even gave Tom Hardy much earned praise for his powerhouse performance. In Rising he re-teams with Pusher star Mads Mikkelsen and looks to be delivering a very gritty action flick.


SERBIAN FILM: The NSFW redband trailer gives the impression this could be 2010's Antichrist. There is so much crazy stuff going on in this film I'm not sure it can live up to it's hype. It looks like a mix between Boogie Nights, 8mm and Hostel. I'll warn anyone before viewing this trailer it's very extreme.

No comments:

Post a Comment