March 8, 2010

Could Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje Be Black Panther?


I recently found an old interview from August 2009 where Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje talked to BlackFilm about possibly playing the hero. Adewale has been know as mostly a character actor playing intense roles in shows like HBO's Oz and Lost. He's also given reasonable performances in Bourne Identity and G.I. Joe: Rise of The Cobra.

"It's now up for grabs and I'm doing the grabbing. I've always had a passion to play a superhero, and now it appears to becoming real. We're in talks with Marvel to playing one of my favorite superheroes, which is obviously Black Panther. There is truth to that, the fact that we are talking. It would be a boyhood dream to have that materialized. I was at Comic Con this year and the timing for such a character to come to life couldn't be more appropriate. I would love to be the one to wear the suit and go out and represent."

"I'd like to convey an element of him that is real and raw ... I can make this guy real ... I would bring some elements from my culture, which is Nigeria. I'm from an area which is known for its regality. In fact, my name, Adewale, means the crown has come home, the crown is here. Together, with that rawness, and the regality because he is an African prince, I would love to bring out the cultural elements of my background to it."

We already know from Stan Lee and Kevin Feige that there is a Black Panther film in the works. There is a chance the project could be in the running along with Ant-Man, Nick Fury and Black Widow for the second film released in 2012. Back in 2007 Feige spoke about upcoming Marvel films which included Black Panther.

"Captain America and Thor and Black Panther and The Avengers are all on our development slate right now."

No comments:

Post a Comment