April 30, 2014

Hugh Jackman Ending Solo Films After WOLVERINE 3 Or Done With Logan Entirely?


A new interview with SFX gives the impression that Hugh Jackman might be ready to step-aside as Wolverine, to allow another actor take the role after The Wolverine 3. We've heard actors talk like this before, when they are in contract talks with studios for pay bumps. I'm not entirely sure Jackman is done with the character, but I get the impression he the solo films demand a lot more from him (including time) than the X-Men movies. On the other hand, it might be time to move along, we know these films take-up a lot of his time, and we know that Jackman has been pursuing awards caliber roles.

I don’t know yet. We’re talking it through. I still am very ambitious for the character. And tonally I feel like we corrected the ship with the last one. But I feel we can still go further, in a way. If I did another one I’m 99.9% sure it would be the last, so that will inform what it is for me.


The third film hasn't locked-down a story, as you can clearly take from Hugh's comments concerning which comic stories should be used for it. He mentions the iconic Old Man Logan comics from Mark Millar, an interesting suggestion for sure. Director James Mangold is currently flushing-out the story, as he's also a respected screenplay writer. Penning films such as Cop Land and Walk The Line. I personally see there being way too many problems with the Old Man Logan comics to be adapted into a PG-13 film (which all the X-Men/Wolverine films have been rated).

Well, of course we’re looking at Old Man Logan, because that may be the only option left at this point! [laughs] We are looking at a lot of different storylines. No one has jumped out. You can tell from my answer that we’re still working it out. I’m working with Jim Mangold, which is exciting. Jim came on board The Wolverine after Darren [Aronofsky] left, so he inherited it. And of all the things that Jim can do, one of the great things he does is develop scripts. I’m excited to see what we can come up with, but I haven’t signed on signed on. I’m genuinely at that point where unless it’s better than the last one I’m not going to do it.


If the script is as good? Hm. I don’t know if that will get me across the line, man. I think it has to be better. I can still see where we can improve on the last one. I love the intimacy of that story, I liked the small stuff, I liked that it was a little unexpected. I don’t want to get into specifics, because it just upsets people, but there are certain parts of that story where I felt we were predictable. And I don’t think you need to do that with Wolverine. What’s exciting is that you can make it a more interior story, and people actually prefer that. And that was good to show and convince everyone – especially everyone who greenlights the movies!



The major problem with Old Man Logan is basically all of the characters (incestuous Hulks, She-Hulk, Hawkeye, Daredevil, Punisher, Venom, Black Bolt, Kingpin, Abomination, Red Skull, along with hints to other Marvel heroes) in it, aren't allowed to be used by Fox for their movies. Characters such as Dr. Doom, Magneto and Emma Frost, being involved would sort of defeat the purpose of a solo movie. It's also revealed he's slaughtered the X-Men team, thinking they were his enemies (Omega Red..ect). I'm not sure Fox will paint their heroic character as a tragic mass murderer, killing young children and the rest of the X-Men.

They'd have to make a massive amount changes to story to fit the grounded cinematic noir world setup in The Wolverine. I'm sure the character design, the fact he's aged significantly and it's futuristic wasteland setting might be the only elements taken from the comic, if anything at all. The untitled Wolverine 3 is set for a release date of March 3rd, 2017.



SOURCE: SFX

No comments:

Post a Comment